About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Finally a name

Throughout all of the increase in medicines and the changing of the seizures we were still doing test after test. We have gotten to know the EEG technicians very well! We had the EEG at 9:45am, the doctor called at 1:30pm with some devastating news. The EEG showed hypsarrythmias. He was able to classify his seizures under a condition called Infantile Spasms. As stated numerous times in almost ever description of the disease, this is a "catastrophic form of epilepsy." Most of the outlooks I could research were not good outcomes. I was so devastated. I tried to call Matt at work. Again I would have to get him out of this last thing he had to do before securing this great job. I felt like I was doing it on purpose. I had no way of controlling it but I just felt like it was my fault.
We were told to get ourselves to the hospital as soon as possible. I packed our bags. We were going to be staying for at least three days. Dalan went with us to the hospital until Grandma Kuchta could get there. He got to go play at papa's house again and wasn't too upset about leaving. He gave his brother lots of kisses and told him to get better.
On April 22nd, we started our first hope in getting rid of this horrible disease. ACTH was our best hope. No one knew how it worked or what it exactly did. All they knew was that it worked in quite a few cases and it was VERY expensive. I can't stress very enough. ($38,000 a vial. We were sent 4 vials to begin with. Our first bill was over $97,000 thanks God for great insurance) Jayen had to get IM shots in his thigh daily. What a horrible experience having to give your five month old baby a shot in his little leg daily.
With the shots comes a lot of doctors visits. We are visiting our pediatrician on base twice a week for blood pressure checks, we see the neurologist at Children's Hospital once a week, EEG once a week, blood work once a week, and soon we will start working with the Early Development Network to try to regain some of the skills he has lost. This is one crazy journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment