About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Is he a REAL BOY yet?

Today, while waiting for the paraprofessional to pick Jayen up at the gate, we saw friend after friend tell their parents goodbye and walk through the gate and straight to the playground to play. Meanwhile, we were stuck on the outside looking in; waiting, just waiting. Waiting for the adult who is to supervise my child to finally peek his head out the door so Jayen could join his friends on the playground. And all that kept running through my head is Pinocchio saying, "I just want to be a real boy!" Obviously these are not Jayen's words, but they are mine. My words for him! My expression for how my heart feels for him. He doesn't get to rush through the gate as soon as it is opened like his friends. He doesn't get to race to the best swing or bigger slide to be the first one on it. He doesn't get the opportunity to do what all of his friends are doing. He has to wait; wait for the adult to finally decide he is ready to come out and supervise. After he finally came out, I kissed Jayen goodbye too many times to make him embarrassed like all the other kids then slowly walked home with a little tear in my eye. I have to be strong for him, but this stinks.

I know he has many struggle to face in life and this is just a drop in the bucket. I'm also really struggling with this school situation of being in two different classrooms. He is technically on the special education teacher's roster, but is still part of a general education class. So he is and isn't part of both classrooms. Most of the time I feel like he isn't part of either. That no one claims him.
Dalan's class has been travelling to Jayen's general education classroom to buddy up with some of the students to help them with their letters and reading. Every time Dalan goes, he doesn't see Jayen. These are the moments I miss. In Nebraska, Dalan would come home and be so proud of the days he got to see Jayen in the lunchroom or at recess. The smile on both of their faces when they told me where they saw each other melted my heart. But for some reason, they never see each other. Even when Dalan travels to Jayen's room. After the fourth or fifth time of Dalan being disappointed he didn't see Jayen, I sent an email to the two teachers asking if there was any way that Jayen could be included in such a fun activity. I hope the two of them will work together to figure out Jayen's schedule. I truly think it would be inspirational for both of them!
And today I received an email from the general education teacher about a permission slip she previously sent home for an upcoming field trip. I didn't receive a permission slip. Is he not invited? Is he not part of the class that is going?

I just want him to feel included. I don't want him left out.


No comments:

Post a Comment