About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

My biggest ally or biggest critic?

I'm really struggling with this one. For a second time now, I have heard through the grape vine that someone I think should be one of our biggest allies thinks we are failures as parents. Apparently all we do in this person's eyes is yell at Jayen. We are constantly correcting him and he/she feels this will affect our other children. I don't even know where to begin with this information. Of course this affects our other children. There may be some negative, but there are so many positives as well. They will be affected by Jayen and his disability for the rest of their lives. They are loving and more understanding about others around them with disabilities! They are less judgmental. They understand the work and patience it takes to have a brother like theirs. Someone I feel should be on our team, on our side, is talking behind our backs and thinks we are bad parents. I was so furious. I really think a sit down is in order. I would like to be able to share a day in the life of the Hochstein house. Please walk a mile in our shoes before you start to beat us down. Jayen is a handful!!!!! This is a understatement!!! We gave Jayen the nickname Mayhem because what can go wrong will go wrong with him around. I constantly have to keep an eye on him to make sure that he is not hurting himself or others. His pain receptors do not work the same as yours or others. He doesn't understand how hard he hits. I am also doing my best to teach him boundaries. He is not allowed to play with glass figurines that are left at a child's eye height. He is to respect other's property. He is not allowed to throw things when he is frustrated. And YES by all means to I get frustrated with him. Even the state of Nebraska believes that we deserve a break so that we can be a better parents. We are provided respite, but I am so scared to use it as Jayen will be left with a complete stranger. Will they be able to help teach him? Will they be able to watch him at the same time as my other children? Instead of criticizing, would you PLEASE stand up and help. I am not above advice, but I am beyond done with back talking and criticizing!

We did not ask for this gift, but we are doing the best job we can!

HEAVEN'S VERY SPECIAL CHILD
A meeting was held quite far from Earth.
It was time again for another birth.
Said the Angels to the Lord above-
"This special child will need much love.
His progress may be very slow,
Accomplishment he may not show.
And he'll require extra care
From the folks he meets down there.
He may not run or laugh or play,
His thoughts may seem quite far away.
So many times he will be labeled
'different,' 'helpless' and 'disabled.'
So, let's be careful where he's sent.
We want his life to be content.
Please, Lord, find the parents who
Will do a special job for you.
They will not realize right away
The leading role they are asked to play.
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith, and richer love.
And soon they'll know the privilege given
In caring for their gift from heaven.
Their precious charge, so meek and mild
Is heaven's very special child."

No comments:

Post a Comment