About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Friday, June 6, 2014

Dream Night at the Zoo

We were somehow fortunate enough to be invited to the Dream Night at the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo. Dream Night is a national annual entrance-free evening opening of a zoo exclusively for chronically ill and disabled children, their parents and brothers and sisters. We were so spoiled by the zoo staff. We were given free hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, apples and caramel dip, popcorn, ice cream, pop, lemonade, and cotton candy. We had back stage access to the giraffes and aquarium; a free round trip ride on the train; face painting, carnival games, and a percussion band. The night was so amazing. I'm sad Dalan wasn't with us to experience it all, but we made the most out of it for him! This truly was a dream night at the zoo. A huge Thank You to all who make events like this possible for children like Jayen and their families. I love when Jayen can go out in public and be himself and fit in. His screaming is not looked down upon. His constant wiggling and moving is not a bother to the people sitting near us. He even threw a hotdog on the floor, in the direction of one of the workers, and she was teasing him about missing her instead of giving him/us bad looks. It is always a struggle as a parent of a child with special needs, but when we are all together it is magical! It is normal and completely accepted. I'm grateful to be a part of such a special activity!
The boys were trying to feed the giraffe. I think they would have been able to, but when he got close enough Jayen freaked out and just threw the hay.

 
We love the train! Everyone was all smiles the entire round trip!

 
Cheesy, cookie filled smile! Love you Jayen. I hope you know how special you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment