About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Emergency Meeting

After requesting an emergency IEP meeting, I was asked if I could actually meet twice today. The first meeting was at 11:15 with the district early childhood special education coordinator and the other at 4:00 for a full IEP meeting. I was very hesitant to have two meetings. I felt as if they were going to talk me out of the second meeting or take my concerns I present at the first meeting and have time to make excuses or refuse things I'm asking for. I had also invited a representative from Raising Special Kids. She is the local parent training representative who helps parents understand their rights during an IEP meeting.
The first meeting involved Ms. Miller (Jayen's case manager), Mrs. Tipton (the principal) and Ms. Rose (the EC Sped Coordinator). I'm so thankful Matt was able to be with us during his lunch hour. I can't do this without him. I tried explaining that I didn't want to do anything at this meeting. I wanted all of our decisions to be team based decisions. I felt like I was able to voice my concerns but wasn't convinced that an appropriate solution would be reached.
The actual IEP meeting was at 4 so we had all three kids in tow! We met with the parent training representative before the meeting began and talked about some concerns. She was able to look at the IEP ahead of time and point out some questions she had for us to consider. Once again I felt like they listened to my concern and were willing to rectify the situation but follow through is always the problem. A schedule was made and shared with everyone as to who is to be with Jayen when. We also discussed Jayen starting a program called STAR. It's a behavior program supported by a BCBA. It isn't an ABA program but takes some of the same ideas and applies it to the classroom setting. I really hope this is something we can start immediately and hope it helps with classroom structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment