About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Of Course!

We found out on Wednesday that the developmental pediatrician at the Melmed center had an opening this Friday with Dr. Melmed himself. We were ecstatic but quickly had to make arrangements for the other kids and make sure insurance had everything squared away. OF COURSE, they didn't and it was a nightmare of phone calls late last night into the early morning today. Close call! I called insurance on Wednesday to make sure everything was good to go, only to find out they put in one of the codes wrong; it was off by one number. The office on base was closed for training and the nurse that originally put the referral in was out of town until next week, of course! The only option I could think of was to call the insurance company 800 number and see if they could help me. I was informed that they had put the changes in the system and I just had to wait for the approval. I called Thursday to make sure everything was still on track and was told I just had to wait, of course! I called one more time Thursday evening and was in tears when I was told the way the representative put it in the system would not work, of course! I was frantic. Our appointment was in less than twelve hours and now for a second time the referral was put in incorrectly. I was not willing to accept that everyone else's fault was going to stop my son from getting his appointment. I was finally put in touch with a manager who assured me he would look into it and get back to me before he left for the night. I impatiently waited an hour and a half for his return call. He was able to get the codes switched for me and gave me the referral code over the phone. I went to bed still worked up over the days events and nervous about the actual appointment. I wasn't sure what the developmental pediatrician was going to tell us. Were we going to get more diagnoses we weren't prepared for?
Our friend Tami was so good to us and came to the house to play with Brilyn and pick up Dalan when he was done with soccer then take them both to her house. I'm so thankful to have help here in Arizona. Matt was able to come with us since this was such an important visit. Dr. Melmed was very nice. I love how you could see he was playing and interacting with Jayen to do his assessment rather than a very sterile, rigorous testing. We don't have the official report back yet, but it sounds like Jayen has a few more issues/diagnoses than we thought, of course! But most of all I love how Dr. Melmed told us that there was only one diagnosis we had to worry about; Jayen syndrome! He has Jayen syndrome and that is all we need to treat. I think that helped put things into perspective for me. We are going to treat Jayen for Jayen and not treating him for Autism, Anxiety, Behavior, Development Delay, Oppositional Defiant, Seizures, and Sleep Disturbance.

No comments:

Post a Comment