About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Parent teacher conferences

We met with Jayen's teacher tonight for parent teacher conferences. She sure didn't have a lot to tell us, so I took the opportunity to ask questions. I am still trying to deal with everything I learned. I'm so disappointed how his current year is going and how I fear his next year will go. Jayen is not receiving any one on one speech help during the day. The speech teacher is in the classroom, but does no extra support for my nonverbal child. In Nebraska he was working on the Kaufman Apraxia approach and was starting to say certain sounds, vocalizations, word approximations and even some words. If we don't continue to work with him he will regress in these skills and not make any gains. I also asked how she thought next year would look for him. How would he compare to some of the other placements she has seen? She thought he would be in a self contained classroom. Which I made a fuss about at our last IEP meeting that it was written on there that he would be in the general education classroom less than 70% of his day. This is probably what hurt the most. This is the reason I am seriously debating about splitting up our family and moving back to Nebraska. This is how they value special needs children? How is my very social, apathetic, nonverbal child going to learn from his peers if he isn't allowed to be near them?
We have a very big decision to make. Is it more detrimental to break up our family or keep our kids in this educational system?

No comments:

Post a Comment