About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Dr. Appt Eye Exam

Jayen has his 6 year well check today with Dr. Easter. Not sure how he got so big on me. He was such a pro; he had his shoes off and was ready to stand on the scale before the nurse said anything then went straight to the height chart. He even sat long enough for us to get his blood pressure and pulse. But when the nurse said we were going to check his eyes, I questioned her and asked how she planned on doing that. She looked at my funny like I should know! I had to explain that he was nonverbal. I'm not sure why that isn't in his charts for her to see. She tried to dismiss it and said she would have to talk to the doctor to see what they should do. I could tell she must have been new! So I asked again how she planned on doing the test. I took Jayen to the chart to show him the pictures and hear what he was going to call them. I don't think the nurse liked that idea; her facial expressions lead me to believe that. I knew he wasn't going to memorize it! I just wanted to make sure he could tell me what the pictures were. It was very similar to this chart.

After I knew he knew what the pictures were, we went to the end of the hallway to stand on the tape line. The nurse then pointed to random pictures and asked Jayen what they were. She now understood what he was going to call them as well so she knew if he was correct. I couldn't believe how well he did! He listed each one she pointed to, placed his hand over one eye and listed them all again, then moved his hand to the other side and did it again. With a little patience, my son was able to complete this like any other child! I wanted to cry, but tried holding it back! 


Moments like these are what I call our ministones. We might not always get huge gains or milestones, but the smaller progress is worth celebrating too!

No comments:

Post a Comment