About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Saturday filming

Today's the day we get to meet Joey Travolta and Inclusion Films crew. This morning we made plans to meet up with Jayen's physical therapist Josh at TEAM 4 Kids and do some filming and interviews. We can't thank Lisa and Bob, the owners of TEAM 4 Kids, enough for allowing us to use their facility after hours. As well as Josh for coming in on his day off and sharing such wonderful words about Jayen and our family.







Like most of their sessions, Jayen and Josh did more playing than working! The crew was able to film Jayen's trick shots and basketball attempts then pulled Josh aside to interview him. I'm glad he had to go first because my nerves were getting the best of me. Mr. Travolta made it so easy to just talk freely and share. He was so personable and thought provoking. I felt bad for Josh when he asked, "I believe all kids with disabilities have unique talents and gifts. What do you feel is Jayen's unique talent or gift?" It was a very thought provoking question that was hard to answer with a camera pointing in your face, but Josh so eloquently shared some amazing insight on Jayen. His answer was sweet and showed the special relationship the two of them share.
After the interview we realized we had some time before Jayen's basketball game started, so I took the crew back to our house to get set up and meet with the rest of the family. There was enough time to squeeze in Dalan's interview. I was really worried he wasn't going to get to be part of it because of the timing of his game and pizza party. But thankfully they were able to set up and do his interview before we had to leave.







Dalan was so nervous. I didn't know what to say or how to make him feel more comfortable. He continuously rocked back on forth on his feet and swiping his hair to the side. At one point, Mr. Travolta asked him if he had any fun memories he wanted to share about his brother. Dalan stopped and said he couldn't think of any. They were trying to make him feel more comfortable. Mr. Travolta was showing Dalan pictures of his dogs. Dalan was so jealous and of course had to ask again if he could get a dog. Thanks Joey! Although they tried to make him feel comfortable, I'm not sure anything worked. But it was time to pack up and head to the gymnasium for Jayen's final basketball game. I hope Dalan gets to be part of the video because he is an amazing big brother and I don't know that I couldn't have survived this journey without him. He really is and angel on earth!




Jeni Corkin, with the city of Surprise Adaptive Recreation department was on top of things. When we arrived she had release papers for everyone in attendance to sign. She informed people that we would be videotaping and what was going on. I'm so thankful she took care of all of this. I couldn't have done it without her. It was so surreal having a film crew at my son's basketball game. It was even more surreal having Joey Travolta watching my son's basketball game. We truly felt like he was just a member of our family and was there to cheer Jayen on like the rest of us.
Jayen has made so much progress this season. He tried stealing the ball a couple of times, it just happened to be from his own teammate, but he tried and that is progress. He managed to get a couple rebounds and that is progress. He didn't drink his entire bottle of water before the end of the first quarter and that is progress. He made friends and had a similar interest with them and that is the biggest progress of all! So much of this is because of the man they interviewed after the game. Coach Daniel was the best coach we could have asked for. He was firm with the kids but would be the first to give the a high five and encourage them to try again. We are so thankful for him and hope that we can be on his team again. Thank you Coach for making him a member of your team. No matter what basketball skills he learned, the team mentality was the greatest gift of all. He was always an equal member of your team and I'm forever grateful for that!








After the basketball game, Allissa took Dalan to his game and the rest of us headed back to the house. Mr. Kyle followed so he could do his interview as well. Once again, I am so grateful for the kind words when speaking of our family. Kyle did such a great job even though he kept saying he was nervous!



After Kyle got out of the hot seat it was time to bring in another chair and put us in them! Honestly, after being on live television, I felt much more calm. I wasn't really nervous. Everything they wanted to ask was about Jayen and this crazy journey. There isn't much I'm an expert on, but this is definitely one of those things. I was really glad they were interviewing us together. We were able feed off of each other's answers and add even more to the interview. Joey made it so easy to talk. I really could have continued answering questions all day long. Matt on the other hand reacted the way I did after the tv interview; "I had so much more I wanted to say. So many things I would have said differently." Joey overheard this and immediately asked Evan to mic us back up. He didn't want dad to feel this way. The crew started filming again and Matt was given the chance to say what he wanted, but again the cameras turned on and he was at a loss for words.


While following Jayen around Joey noticed his room and thought of someone he knew who would love the room as well. He asked if he could send a video to his brother, John Travolta. He is a huge aviation buff and was sure he would love Jayen's room as well. He was even showing us how his brother's house had a runway and two hangars attached to it. After all the interviews were done we asked Jayen if he would give Joey an autographed picture of him flying to give to his brother. Joey said he thought his brother would love it.


We really didn't want the crew to leave but we knew we would see them again tomorrow! We had so much fun hanging out with all of them. Evan, Matthew, Drew, Andy, and Joey you are always welcome at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment