About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Humming conversations

This past week Matt and I have noticed Jayen trying to talk to us in a humming fashion. It is as if he is humming an entire conversation. Sometimes it goes on for minutes. This is such a big step for Jayen. I've been trying to get it on video but every time I get the camera out someone feels he needs to ham it up! He does it again here, but at the very beginning of the video you can hear him humming his conversation to me. I'm so proud of the progress he is making!
 

Jayen started ABA therapy this week. I forgot to write about it on Tuesday, but we mostly just observed Jayen to see what specific goals we would like to focus on. Today was our second visit and it was pretty crazy. We had the realtor here during therapy so there was a lot going on and Jayen's attention was elsewhere. I'm very interested to see how all of this is going to work, and also how it will work into our schedule. I'm overwhelmed and not sure I will get through these next few months alive. Praying for strength and guidance! AND PATIENCE!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is fascinating, Nicole! I strongly suspect Jayen is trying to connect music and words. Have you tried singing your conversations to him? It's just a thought but I wondered if he might respond to it. I was Thinking our storytime song to the tune of "Goodnight Ladies": you might use it to converse with Jayen.
    "Good morning Jayen. (good night ladies)
    Did you sleep well? (good night ladies)
    It's time for breakfast. (good night ladies)
    What sounds good to you?" (it's time to say goodbye)
    I wouldn't worry about trying to make all the syllables fit just perfectly, and no need to make it rhyme! I'm curious to know if he might try copying you. The music might help with fluency? Just the ramblings of a Music Therapist-wannabe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole! I'd like to connect with you. We have a daughter with epilepsy as well. We used to live in Norfolk and a friend shared your article with me. I sent you a msg on facebook, please check your "other" folder. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete