About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Arizona IEP

We had a meeting previously scheduled with the school for today, but I wasn't sure if it was for an actual IEP or just a follow-up. I emailed Marni Schroeder, the school psychologist, and was informed we were doing a full IEP meeting at this time. I'm so thankful Matt was able to come. Today is his first day at work and I needed him with me. I didn't know how much I was going to have to fight for and how much they were going to just copy from the Nebraska IEP.
The meeting was pretty standard until the very end. When everyone thanked us for coming and stood up to walk out, I asked one last question. Where are we in the process of getting Jayen support in the classroom? If we aren't to the hiring process, what can we do in the mean time to make sure he is supported and safe? I'm worried not only about his safety but the other kids in his class as well. After a very long awkward pause and heads turning in so many directions waiting for a response, an angel spoke up. The occupational therapist spoke up and said having been in the classroom observing Jayen, she agrees that his current environment is unsafe for him. I was blown away. I couldn't believe someone was on my side. Someone else felt the same way as I. After getting daily reports of Jayen's behavior affecting his ability to learn in the classroom and his peer relationships I still needed an answer. We left the meeting being told that Ms. Miller, the lead special education teacher would be with him for his entire day until a replacement was hired/found. We were hopeful and trusted their word. We just want what is best for Jayen. I hope they all understand that!

No comments:

Post a Comment