About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Trust

Ms. Miller was able to be with Jayen in the classroom on Tuesday. We were excited for her to get to know him and see how he interacts at school. Today, however, I didn't learn until I came to pick Jayen up from school and got report that he raised a book above his head and hit a friend with it, that Ms. Miller was not in the classroom at all. I immediately went to talk to the principal. She was unavailable so I spoke to the assistant principal. How could this happen just two days after I was assured that he would have support? TWO DAYS!!! I asked that from now on a hand to hand transition was necessary for me to trust that Jayen had the support he requires in the classroom. Towards the end of my conversation with the assistant the principal emerged and walked into the office. When she was told about Ms. Miller's absence she replied, "oh yes, she was out sick today." How did she know about her absence and not mention anything to anyone including the preschool teacher who also expected her to be there for the day. Where are the communication skills here? Why was this not mentioned to anyone? I left in tears and hot enough to melt an iceberg. These people promised to take care of my son. They promised to keep him and his friends safe. I've lost my trust in them.

After cooling off a little and talking to a parent advocate I was able to write this email.

I would first like to thank all of you for your continued help in our transition to Arizona. This has been very hard on our entire family and I'm thankful for all the help we are receiving. We are all waiting for the day Greer Ranch and Sonoran Heights feel like home. I would like to open the lines of communication and strive for a great working relationship between us.
At the IEP meeting on Monday, February 9th, 2015 my husband and I asked about the support Jayen needs in the classroom. As a team, we agreed that the environment Jayen is currently in is unsafe for him without individual support. We were informed that Ms. Miller would be available to be in the classroom with Jayen until further arrangements were made. I was relieved to see Ms. Miller in the classroom on Tuesday and put my trust in the school that Jayen would be safe. However, the very next day I learned that Ms. Miller did not show up in the classroom and Mrs. Foster was unaware of her absence. I was even more shocked to learn that the administration knew of this absence and did not inform me or make arrangements to have this position covered. It is actions like this and lack of communication that create distrust. 
According to Jayen's IEP the support is required. Without this support he is being denied FAPE. Until I can be assured that there is a person designed for him and the confidence that I will be called if this person is unavailable. I may be required to report this action and file a grievance regarding my concern with this denial of FAPE. I want Jayen to be in school. I want to work with all of you, but first and foremost he and the other students in the classroom need to be safe. Trust and communication are most important in a good working relationship, therefore I look forward to hearing from you whether he will be safe attending class on Friday.
 
Thanks
Nicole Hochstein

I hope this helps get the ball rolling. I hope they take me serious. I hope someday I can feel safe leaving Jayen in their care. But for now I will be keeping him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment