About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

transition meeting

Since we had a meeting before the meeting, I felt like I didn't have to prepare as much for this one. I didn't feel like I was going to have to go to war, but I was still wanting supporting documents incase I needed them. I'm so nervous for next year but I have no clue what is in his best interest, other than moving back to Nebraska! I'm excited about the opportunity to have the boys go to the same school again, I'm excited for the growth we will hopefully see with another year of kindergarten and full day schooling, but I'm nervous. I'm nervous about a new school building for him. I'm nervous about all new friends and teachers. I'm so nervous for this LEVEL C! What I'm being told is that he will only be pulled for math, reading, and writing but will be with his class for calendar, recess and as much as possible. I know as a teacher how much juggling and finagling his schedule and other's schedules this will take. I'm nervous about how much time I will be able to be in the classroom to make sure he is getting what he actually needs.
Of course, there were quite a few people at the meeting. There was an extra district representative as well as the school psychologist and principal from Sonoran Heights. There was one question I really wanted to ask but for some reason it just didn't feel like the right time to ask. Jayen's teacher seemed slightly annoyed or upset about having to be at the meeting. I'm hoping she just had other things on her mind. I really wanted to ask the principal and Mrs. Scott if Jayen could be in her class next year. It is such a unique situation that his current teacher will be moving schools the same year he is. Since she has prior knowledge of him and knows him better than any other teacher, she would be able to work with his schedule a little more than others. Since he will be out of the classroom for his core subjects it will be harder for another teacher to get to know him the way she does or would with her other students. Mrs. Scott, however, sat beside me with arms crossed and leaning on the back of her chair. She didn't seem like she was in the mood for anything. Especially not asking for her compassion for my son. I let the subject go and was hoping to email Mr. Frasier another time.
The final decisions were that Jayen will be able to repeat Kindergarten again next year at Sonoran Heights. Compensatory services were also offered; Jayen has been offered full Kindergarten for the rest of the school year. We also discussed extended school year services and have agreed Jayen will participate. The meeting went well. I'm excited for what next year will bring for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment