About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Friday, March 17, 2017

St. Patty's work party

It's Friday night and I'm getting ready to celebrate St. Patty's! Unfortunately, Matt is working and I'm at home with the kids and no sitter in sight. So we will celebrate with our corned beef and cabbage by packing it all up in the car and heading to the base to spend an unbelievably short amount of time eating with him before he has to rush off to fix something. I spent more time packing everything up then we actually did with dad, but we got to spend some time with him so I guess it was worth it. After getting home and getting the kids to bed, I still had work to do.
The work party continued on our living room floor. Papers were strewn in every direction (I could do that because the kids were in bed!) with no floor in sight. I was working on my IEP binder for Jayen's upcoming meeting. Yes, another one! We met in February and were not able to complete the IEP due to time and needing to get more baseline data. However, I did not realize that this meant they were finalizing it without my permission. So I am prepping myself and getting all my supporting documents ready. I know not everyone has to do this. I know that I could probably go in and get the things I think my son needs without all this work, but this is how I organize things. This is how I organize my head too.
This information is personal and I hope it isn't shared without my permission, but I think this can be helpful for others. I do have my degree in special education and elementary education which has helped me tremendously on this journey. I hope that my knowledge can help others.

I wanted to have on hand the first draft of the IEP from our meeting in February when we originally talked about it. So I included it at the front.

Then I added the finalized copy I was sent. There were a few changes but not all the changes we had discussed were included in the final copy.

I broke down each goal and printed them out individually.

Behind each goal I was able to add data and ideas for a working binder I wanted them to use. Previously they were having Jayen work on file folder games. I suggested getting games and things for him to do that correlated to his IEP goals.

If I have these ideas available then they are more likely to use them (and right away since they don't have to make them)

Baseline data was sent home so I included it behind each goal for reference.


Possible data collection ideas for the teacher. I will be strict on asking for data to see progress so I wanted to be in agreement what data tracking method we will be using.

Baseline data

Possible idea for working binder.

Possible idea for working binder.

Comments and edits are made on each goal. So when we discuss that particular goal, I have all the changes I want and the ideas in one place.

Baseline data

HWT work binder ideas


HWT work binder ideas. There is one for each letter of the alphabet so he can build each letter.


Possible data collection idea


Working binder ideas



I didn't agree with the baseline data as it was written on the IEP so I made a note about it and added in examples so I could defend my stance.
legibly I and his peers should be able to read at least the number 1 if not the number 0 as well. What are we accepting as accurate?  I will be collecting samples from another kindergarten classroom to compare with Jayen's to have a better idea of what is age appropriate and acceptable.
Jayen's work samples



















The next section included all correspondence between myself and other members of the team. I had tried to contact one of them and did not receive a response. I wanted to have a copy of my emails with me so I could show my attempts to contact her. There were also emails from other members asking for clarification on specific goals. I wanted to have these on hand for the meeting as well.


When all the papers were picked up off the floor and found their corresponding place in the binder, it was time to celebrate. I was ready for this meeting. I was ready for a drink. And I was ready for bed.
One quick green beer and I was off to bed to worry more about the meeting!


No comments:

Post a Comment