About Me

On March 21st, 2010 My daddy left for his last trip away from us. On March 22nd we had to ask him to come home. I had my first seizure that day. One month later I was diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I have been through a lot in my short life. But I bring so much joy to my mommy and daddy every time I smile.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Jarrar follow up

I had been having a lot of difficulty scheduling our follow-up with Jayen's epileptologist and had to take an appointment months after it was supposed to be scheduled. I was really worried about waiting since I knew we wanted to start weaning one of the medications again. I really needed the guidance and assurance that this was the right move. After some back and forth with the nurse, we were squeezed into a spot and able to see her today.
I really feel comfortable with Dr. Jarrar. She has an amazing memory and knows us like we just talked last week. I really wanted to discuss with her coming down/off of the Clorazepate again. We tried about 6 months ago and had to stop the wean because of Jayen's behavior. We have since added a little extra lamotrigine to help stabilize his mood as well as increasing his Concerta. With those changes I feel we are in a different place to be able to try the decrease again. Dr. Jarrar agreed and was excited. But I think she felt my trepidation as well. She encouraged me to take it as slow as I like. Maybe just get down to half a pill twice a day and hold there for a while. There is no rush for taking him off of it. This mom just wants to eliminate or reduce the side effects from each of the medications he is taking.
Dr. Jarrar wanted to talk to us about something she has been passionate about. She recently because a wish granter for Make-A-Wish® foundation. Throughout her career she had nominated kids whom had less time on this earth than most think appropriate, but through her training to become a wish granter the organization taught her that wishes can be granted for any child suffering from a life threatening condition. Make-A-Wish® has sometimes been incorrectly portrayed as an organization that grants wishes to children who are terminally ill. Their eligibility criteria stipulate that a child must be diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition, not a terminal condition. She continued to convince us that Jayen would be a perfect candidate. I was very skeptical but listened to her. We applied in Nebraska before Jayen's brain surgery but didn't have enough time. Then we moved and didn't pursue it here. I figured by now Jayen wouldn't even qualify.
The appointment went well and I left feeling hopeful for Jayen's future. He is on a good path now and I hope us weaning this medication doesn't change any of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment